Thursday, November 9, 2017

La Catrina

Hey Everyone!

Hopefully all have been having a great time using the new Polka Dot Pals Add-On Faces clear stamps. There are 4 Polka Dot Pal Add-On Faces that are actually available in digital form as well which is what I used for this stamp because I had ordered the clear Polka Dot Pals Add-On Faces and I just got them in the mail today- Woohoo!

Okay, on to my card... I was inspired by La Catrina which is a fancy or elegant female skeleton and is the image of "death" and one of the main images for Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead in English.) La Catrina is usually dressed in fancy European (usually French) hats and dresses from the early 1900's or in Traditional Mexican Folkloric dresses. On Halloween, November 1st and November 2nd some people dress as La Catrina or get skull candy facepaint. People sometimes tell jokes and act out humorous skits about death as well as perform traditional folkloric dances. I don't celebrate this holiday but I always have fun watching the performances or have painted a few faces myself.
For the dress I was inspired by the beautiful stitch work of the Traditional Mexican dresses from the State of Nayarit. I was also Inspired by one of the quotes Frida Kahlo said and I hand wrote it in Spanish. Frida Kahlo endured so much pain both physically and emotionally throughout her life but transferred and expressed all of her love and sorrow into her words and her paintings. To me she always represents a very inspirational and strong woman. For my rendering of this Remata I chose this quote of Frida Kahlo which she said on her final days:

"Espero que la salida sea alegre,
y espero no volver nunca mas."
translation:
(I hope the exit is joyful,
and I hope to never return.")


I colored the entire image with Prismacolor Pencils on 
Kraft Cardstock and hand wrote the words with a 
I tried to make the background a little creepy.

That is it for now sorry I'm a bit behind on the Day of the Dead image. 
There are workers outside of my house and I excavating to install
fiber optics on my street but in the mean time there 
was no internet and I couldn't update any of my software.
I hope that you still find the card a little bit inspiring.

For more inspiration make sure to go check out 
the rest of the DT work

Thank you for stopping by
Katya Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments to let me know you stopped by :)

I love comments, any type of tips or helpful/constructive criticism is always welcome. If there is something you'd like to see more of just ask. I would also love it if you followed my blog. Thank you for stopping by and have a colorful day.
-Katya